Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Homage to Tulips

I have never been one to plant a lot of Tulips.  When I plant fall bulbs I want to make sure that all the effort is going to result in a spring show that will only get bigger and better as the years go by.  Tulips have always given me the impression that they are more trouble than they are worth.  I have always thought of them as wonderful as accents in a small and easily controlled garden and that's about it.  I guess it's due to all of the creatures that love them in all of their forms.  Chipmunks and squirrels LOVE the bulbs and deer Love every other part of them.  That mixed with the fact that I have had many Tulips revert from their pretty color back to their parent color, usually a bright red or yellow, after only a year!!!  
Last summer I poured over the bulb catalogs reading each one cover to cover, picking my tried and true favorites, learning about all the new stuff  and comparing prices and reputation for a quality product.  It took about a month to come up with my final order!!!  While compiling my dream list I noticed that a lot of Tulips were showing up on that list and I questioned myself for a second.  I'm soooo glad that I threw caution to the wind and got them !  (I also ordered a case of Deer Pharm and a case of Hot Pepper Wax ) This year they have proven themselves once again in a BIG way !  I can now understand Tulip Mania ! HAHA  Sort of ! ( And I haven't even had to use the wax or Pharm which will come in handy in the Veggie garden soon!)
Above:Carriage House Courtyard @ Goodstone Inn
Below: The little pond is a new addition this spring and it's also the beginnings of a complete make over for our beloved courtyard! When I planted this fall I wondered if I should have used Cayenne pepper in the soil to keep the critters away.  I stressed about the deer and planned on spritzing the new Tulips the second I saw life in the spring!  I awaited anxiously for any sign of them as soon as spring officially showed up.  I knew the ones in the courtyard would be safe from deer but I was not so sure about the others!  To my complete surprise I haven't had to do a thing except sit back and watch the show!  A few did get munched by deer on the woodsy side of the Dutch Cottage.  A few others, really pretty creamy yeallow ones,  got eaten by some frisky sheep that broke into the yard of the Bull Barn Cottage!  But all in all I have to pay homage to the Tulip this year!  Thank You for your stunning performance this spring Tulips !!!  Looking forward to your next show !
These "Black and White" Tulips are breathtaking!  I love this garden with the different textures. Cat Mint, grasses, nippon daisy, hydrangea, yellow twig dogwood, dark purple heuchera, lime light spirea, hosta and more.  This garden is on the side of the Carriage house closest to the Dutch cottage and they are both bordered by the woods with a view to Goose Creek!  
Above:Tulip 'Black Hero' and Tulip 'Mount Tacoma' looking fabulous together ! I love the sleek "black" with the voluptuous white !
Below: Tulip 'Black Hero' with Cat mint
 
  Above: Tulip 'Green Village' Is a beautiful pink and green!  Tulip 'Angelique' is a  baby pink puff
 Below: An arrangement of Tulip 'Green Village', Tulip 'Black Hero', Tulip 'Happy Family',  Helleborus, Daffodil & Viburnum 'Korean Spice' fresh cut from the property!  I love it !
Below: Boquet of fresh Tulips~'Green Village', 'Spring Green'
 & 'Happy Family'
Tulip varities planted last fall
Tulip 'Greenland' ~ Tulip 'Green Village' ~ Tulip 'Spring Green' ~Tulip 'Happy Family' ~ Tulip 'Angeliuqe' ~ Tulip 'Black Hero'~  Tulip 'Mount Tacoma' ~ Tulip 'Yellow Mountian 

1 comment:

  1. Airynee,
    The gardens are beautiful and you are wonderful!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete